The almost century-long presence of a number of research-intensive and fully integrated pharmaceutical companies, such as Novo Nordisk, H. Lundbeck, AstraZeneca and LEO Pharma, have contributed significantly to the development of Medicon Valley by strengthening abilities within applied research, attracting suppliers and producing spin-offs. Therefore it also continues to be a breeding ground for new innovative SMEs.
Career opportunities in Medicon Valley
Medicon Valley offers a broad and diversified career platform, with opportunities across the region in a fully integrated biotech cluster with more than 100 biotech companies with own R&D, major R&D based pharmaceutical companies, 200+ medtech companies, 50+ relevant service providers, CRO´s and CMO´s and a dozen experienced life science VC´s.
This diversity, supported by a strong business environment, has constituted a popular working environment enjoyed by 40,000 Medicon Valley employees.
Facts about Medicon Valley:
- Excel in research within cancer, diabetes, inflammation and neuroscience as well as diagnostics.
- MAX IV Laboratory, the brightest X-ray source in the world, will open in 2016
- European Spallation Source (ESS), the world’s most powerful neutron source, will open in 2019
- Private foundations such as the Novo Nordisk Foundation and Wallenberg Foundation support research with large donations
- Biobanks and health registries are among the most elaborate in the world, and are, in combination with unique social security numbers, excellent basis for conducting research
- Spending on R&D is approx. USD 11 billion and close to a quarter of the R&D expenditures stems from government sources.
Read more about Medicon Valley at www.mediconvalley.com and www.mva.org